For a plant-based option at the holidays, try this side dish from the new Celebrate: Plant-Based Recipes for Every Occasion.
Bettina said, “I adore potatoes! You may also have noticed that I love leeks, too. The combination of two varieties of potatoes, leeks and cream, all slow cooked in an oven dish, is my dream come true.”
Bettina Campolucci Bordi’s cookbook, Celebrate: Plant-Based Recipes for Every Occasion is available now.
Creamy Sweet Potato & Leek Bake
- 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and washed
- 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) floury baking potatoes, peeled and washed
- 1 leek, green part and all
- 750 ml (25 fl oz/3 cups) plant cream (like oat cream)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1-2 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- sprig of thyme (leaves only)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Slice the potatoes in half using a mandoline (if you have one); otherwise slice them very thinly.
- Chop off the end of the leek, slice in half lengthways and wash well between the layers. Then chop into 1 cm (1⁄2 in) chunks, including the green part.
- Add the cream, mustard, thyme leaves, and salt and pepper to a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Grease the inside of a shallow rectangular oven dish with the butter. Grate the garlic into the dish, spreading it around evenly and mixing into the butter. This will give a lovely garlicky hint to the whole dish.
- Using half of the potatoes, fill the base of the dish with layers of both types of potatoes, then add a middle layer of all the leeks and use the remaining potatoes to form the top layer. Make sure you push the top layer down well as the leeks may be a bit springy.
- Pour the cream mixture evenly over the top, making sure everything is covered well.
- Pop into the oven for 1 hour until lovely and crispy on top.